Experience the Bible through the eyes of a first-century disciple by exploring the cultural, religious, and historical background of the Bible. This Bible allows you to understand God’s Word in its original cultural context, bringing Scripture to life by providing fresh understanding to familiar passages, beloved stories and all the Scripture in between.
The NIV First-Century Study Bible invites you into the questions, stories, and interpretations—both ancient and modern—which introduce you to a world vastly different from your own. Let us read with an eye on the past and with our feet planted in our present questions and circumstances.
Join Kent Dobson as he unpacks the culture of Bible times, and illuminates Scripture passages while asking thoughtful questions along the way. Kent is the teaching pastor at Mars Hill Bible Church in Grandville, Michigan, where he initially served as the worship director. He has been featured on Biblical programs for the History Channel and the Discovery Channel. Kent fell in love with Biblical studies in Israel and had the privilege of learning from both Jewish and Christian scholars.
After his time in Israel, he returned to the States to teach high school religion and Bible before responding to God's call to the pastorate. Today, he keeps his connection to the Holy Land strong as he leads tours to Israel that combine study and prayer, inspired by the ancient discipline of spiritual pilgrimage.
The New International Version (NIV) is the world’s most popular modern-English Bible. Its goal is to reproduce, as closely as possible, the reading experience of the original audience, providing the optimum combination of transparency to the original documents and clear communication of their original meaning.
• Full text of the world's most popular modern English Bible—the New International Version (NIV) 2011 edition.
• Book introductions and outlines for each book of the Bible
• Study notes expound on the Scripture and incorporate writings from early church writers, rabbis, and extra-biblical sources.
• Word studies illuminate Hebrew words and explore their meaning
• “Addressing the Text Articles” delve deeper into passages of Scripture
• Elegant drop-down navigation drawer slides into view when you need it helping you stay focused on Bible text.
• Find Scripture references quickly and easily with predictive search or by quick-touch book, chapter, verse.
• Convenient Content and Note drawers stay out of the way yet are close at hand when needed.
• Synchronized view of Bible text and study notes.
• Notes allow you to capture thoughts for specific passages.
• Highlighting allows you to easily emphasize passages.
• Copy-and-paste multiple verses quickly and easily.
• Bookmark your favorite passages for future reference or make your own personal studies.
• Powerful folder system allows you to organize notes and bookmarks.
• Cross references by tapping and holding on underlined words in the NIV text.
• Convenient back button (iPad) let's you navigate back. Tap-and-hold bottom navigation button to go back using iPhone and iPod Touch.
• Easily email notes to yourself, family and friends.
• Share on Twitter and Facebook.
• Optional red letter Words of Christ.
• Adjustable font sizing.
• Optimized for iPad and iPhone. Buy once and use on both devices.
Plus, leverage the Mode Switcher to get deep into the Bible with Study Mode, or focus on the text in Reading Mode. It's your choice. Page turns are animated in Reading Mode with icons appearing where additional content is available.
Like no other Bible app for iOS, the all new NIV Study Bible immerses you more deeply into the Word. See for yourself!